Affect for Effect
Misused so often there is a site devoted to explaining how to avoid this mistake in simple terms.
Effect is the end result, Affect is a direct action.
Taking the medication may have an affect on you.
Once I took the pill, the effect was more than I expected.
A for An
This is likely the most common error in writing since a or an appears so often.
A is used before words that begin with consonant sounds
An is used before words that begin with vowel sounds
I own a labrador retriever
I own an apple computer
That was simple enough right? The problem is with certain exceptions such as abbreviations and acronyms.
See AorAn.org for these exceptions
Loose for lose
This always seems to stump people when writing and it makes your writing look awfully bad.
Loose is an adjective describing something that isn’t tight (think of noose)
Lose is a verb meaning something that was lost (think lose/lost)
The noose on that cattle rope is pretty loose
When you go out if you lose your keys they will certainly be lost
It’s for its
This seems to get many people who actually know the difference. The visual placement of the apostrophe can be confusing when you’re writing sentences.
It’s with an apostrophe simply means it is
Its is the possessive form of it
Give the dog a bone it’s getting hungry again
You heard me. I said give the dog its bone
Whatever you do, please don’t place the apostrophe at the end and create Its’
They’re for their for there
This is another case where the apostrophe throws many people off. Having 3 words in the English language being so similar doesn’t help things.
They’re is short for they are
Their is a possessive word
There refers to location
They’re not comfortable in cold weather climate
In warm climate my friends are back in their comfort zone
It was too cold and they won’t go back there again
Incoming search terms for the article:
- grammar mistakes (38)
- Mistakes (10)
- grammar rules (6)
- most common grammar mistakes (5)
- common grammar mistakes (3)
- malayalam grammar pdf (2)
- connectors grammar (2)
- images of grammer mistakes (2)
- common grammar mistakes ppt (2)
- picture grammar mistakes (2)
- most common mistake in grammar (1)
- the most grammer mistake (1)
- reprise answer key online (1)
- mistakes pictures (1)
- most common (1)
- Most Grammar Mistakes (1)
- most common spanisg grammar mistakes (1)
- most common Grammar mistakes power point (1)
- most common grammer exceptions (1)
- most common grammar mistates (1)
- grammar rules pictures (1)
- 5 most common gramatical mistakes (1)
- 5 most common grammar mistakes (1)
- common errors in grammar and powerpoint (1)
- common grammar and usage mistakes ppt (1)
- common grammar mistakes and powerpoint (1)
- common grammar mistakes visual (1)
- common grammer mistakes (1)
- common punctuation mistakes (1)
- common spanish mistakes (1)
- common spanish mistakes powerpoint (1)
- connectors in english grammar ppt (1)
- Grammar Mistakes and Feed Backs (1)
- 5 grammer mistakes (1)
- urdu grammar (1)